Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Decree


I could spend hours creating these backgrounds. Oh...I actually DO. 4 x4 inch cradled wood panel slathered in layers of gesso, acrylic paint, and acrylic glaze.

A beauty of a bezel from Spellbinders A Gilded Life Collection. This one is called Crown Bezel. It is the large, bronze variety and sets a majestic tone for the rest of the piece.

All the bezels in this collection come with matching dies so that you can cut the perfect inset to place inside. I cut some of my hand painted watercolor paper in shades of wine, red, and pink.

I used the same hand painted paper to cut a shape that I thought would match the curves of the bezel using die #3 from Spellbinders Labels Thirty-Two die set. This would be placed under the bezel.

My pieces would never be complete without the addition of some hardware or found object. I chose three metal pieces that I would layer and inset into the bezel. The gear is from a vintage watch.

To add to the background of the piece, I cut a circle and a loop from Spellbinders Large and Small Standard Circle die sets. The paper was card stock that I altered.

One of the beautiful dies from A Gilded Life collection is the Petite Monarch die. I used it to die cut and emboss a piece of gold craft foil.

As beautiful as this die is, my plan was to snip off four of the ends of the die cut to use as corner pieces in my artwork. The remainder of the die has been saved to use in a future project.

Layering and gluing all the elements that I had gathered led to a completed piece that I call Decree.





Sold. Thank you!
-------------------------------------

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

MMM-001 Spellbinders® Artisan X-plorer
GLLB-003 Spellbinders® A Gilded Life Crown Bezel Large
GLD-003 Spellbinders® A Gilded Life Crown Circle die
S4-407 Spellbinders® NestabilitiesTM Labels Thirty-Two
S4-114 Spellbinders® NestabilitiesTM Standard Circles Large
S4-116 Spellbinders® NestabilitiesTM Standard Circles Small
GLLD-001 Spellbinders® A Gilded Life Petit Monarch die
F-012 Spellbinders® Precious Metals Premium Craft Foils Assortment 

Other: cradled wood panel, gesso, paint brush, hand painted and stamped paper, metal hardware, adhesive, scissor

12 comments:

Maryanne said...

Another beauty, Seth!! I love that you cut the insert of the bezel and the shape you put behind the bezel out of the same paper. The effect of that is great!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE the blue! So REGAL! Congrats on the sale, too!!!!

whyducks said...

Beautiful work

PocketSize said...

Wow, this one is so beautiful! I love the way you used pieces of the Petite Monarch die cut. I rarely ever think to break down a motif like that. The colors in this one are particularly great. I really like the painted paper you used for the inside of the die and the label shape.

Stephanie said...

great background!

Jo Murray said...

So many ideas!...so little time.

Jackie PN said...

OMGorgeous Seth!!
The background on this piece is stunning and your elements are just perfect with it!! By any chance , are you using your Spellbinders for class in Oct.? teehee
just asking ")

Diane D. said...

Seth, you've done it again. Just gorgeous. I have the Petite Monarch die and I love it. The colors in this piece are so rich. Can't wait to see whats next.
DianeD

Ella said...

Beautiful colors-I love the magic you created~

MB Shaw said...

I want to see this background as a 48" x 48" painting. It would glow and be an amazing centerpiece for any room. Just sayin'

Thriftycraftermale said...

Great project mate, always exciting 2 see another male crafter, tfs.

Rj

Gaby Bee said...

You always come up with the most creative ideas. Love the blue!